Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

High BP, on statins for cholesterol, switched to vegetable and wheat diet, high triglycerides

my husband is 65. he has had high BP for 15 years, and was put on statins a few years ago for a cholesterol 200. He is getting a blood test every year, and his triglycerides have been creeping up. Now they are 200. My husband has normal weight. He drinks one beer or one glass of wine a day, and about 6 months ago we have switched to a plant based diet , avoiding fats and refined sugars. We eat whole wheat, brown rice , fruits and veggies, and are shocked that his triglycerides were so high. His cholesterol is only 149. What can we do ?
Asked On : Mon, 2 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  96
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
The diet which you are following are really good . Dont be afraid of cholesterol values too much . Cholesterol of 149 is really good . We should not forget the fcat that cholesterol is usful ingredient of cell and has many important functions or uses also . Having triglycerides raises to 200 , we shall aim at keeping it below 150 .

If only diet is not helping than medicines can be considered for that like fibrates group of drugs .
Answered: Wed, 4 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor