Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

High BP is hypertension, but what is a high pulse called ?

High blood pressure is hypertension, but what's a high pulse called?
I have a weak heart from anthracycline therapy. I see my cardiologist at least once a year and check my blood pressure daily. my blood pressure is normal, but my pulse is usually between 80 and 130 beats per minute. My cardiologist said its because I need more aerobic exercise, but he didnt give it a name. Does anyone know if there is a medical term for a consistently high pulse? Well that was a dumb question...I totally forgot about that part of my physio class. Since I've got you all here, what are the negative effects of tachycardia on the body? I mean, is it really that big of a deal?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
increased heart rate is called tachycardia. Is your HR of 130 at rest or after exercising or just any minimal activity? Anthracycline induce cardiomyopathy(heart dysfunction) sometimes needs to be treated with meds. ACE inhibitors help control your BP but if your BP is normal like you say but your HR is chronically elevated at rest, you may ask your MD about a low dose beta-blocker which is to help with your HR or digoxin. A person with cardiomyopathy does need some exercise like anyone but also needs to be very careful since exercise may not be tolerated well with cardiomyopathy especially if you are also being treated for CHF. I would honestly consider a second opinion. I don't think that getting aerobic exercise is the solution. just my opinion. If you are in a small town, I suggest being seen at a cardiac hospital where the doctors perform open heart surgery since these doctors deal with cardiomyopathy daily. Every hospital is NOT the same, and neither is every doctor's opinion. I'm a cardiac intensive care nurse. You want to be seen by a doctor at a teaching hospital who is up on the lastest advancements in cardiology.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor