Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Hiatal hernia, intense pain causing discomfort. Advised surgery post weight reduction. Is it worth waiting?

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia that involves my intestines and stomach in my chest . The surgeons I saw felt I was okay to wait to have surgery until I lost weight so that the opening can be repaired and hopefully take. I m concerned now because with every pain I have I m worried something is going wrong. Am I really okay to wait to have surgery? Trying to decide whether to have a second opinion.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General Surgeon 's  Response
weight loss is advised to go before hiatus hernia surgery but in your case since it is of type 4 hernia so risk of complications are high if surgery is delayed. So you should consult with your doctor over this matter again. Also with laparoscopic technique risk associated with obesity are not too much
Answered: Fri, 22 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor