Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Hi, My father is suffering from Chronic Liver Disease. He

My father is suffering from Chronic Liver Disease. He had undergone with EVL banding 2 yrs back. Lately he had developed Ascites fluid which is now in control by some medications. But one week back he woke up with some abnormal behavior like mild confusion, mental fogginess etc. We admitted him in Emergency of AIIMS and he came back to normal after 24 hours of admission. Now as i am from a lower middle class family it is not possible for us for liver transplantation which i know is the ultimate option for this kind of disease. My query is that what kind of diet should he follow to reduce the complications. He is very strong mentally.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Generally liver transplant is the best choice indeed. Without it, the symptoms will be gradually getting worse. Chronic liver disease is irreversible disease and not much can be done to improve liver condition. Diet has some impact to this disease, but please do not expect much from good diet.

He should avoid alcohol, fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods. He may also try liver improving supplements (available without prescription).

He should have bilirubin and liver tests controlled regularly. His confusion and abnormal behavior is caused by toxins accumulation due to bad liver function.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 29 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor