Hi Doc My wife and I are planning a trip

Hi Doc My wife and I are planning a trip to Tibet, Lhasa and surrounding areas soo. Hhe had a stent placed onn LAD in DEC 2006. A recent CT Angio showed no blockage in major arteries. Lhasa is at an altitude of 11500 to 12000 ft. WE shall be travelling in a vehicle with emmergency oxygen supply. We shall vave to cross passes over 17000 ft in our vehicle during our journey. Can my wife take this trip?
Wed, 16 Sep 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern...
You can take your wife to trip, If your physician permit it after doing her checkup & take care of following precautions
1. Altitude acclimatization- Altitude acclimatization is the process of adjusting to decreasing oxygen levels at higher elevations, in order to avoid altitude sickness. Once at 3,000 metres (10,000 ft) stay overnight or few days there & then go to a higher altitude (slowly).
2.The drug acetazolamide ( Diamox) should be available for altitude sickness. Acetazolamide can be taken before symptoms appear as a preventive measure at a dose of 125 mg twice daily.
3. Never try to over exert yourself & specially herself
4. In case of any problem decend to lower height

Hope this information helps
thanks & regards
Dr vivek goyal

3 users find this helpful