Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Herpes, red spots, body pain. Should consult a Skin specialist or MBBS doctor?

Hi, My mom is suffering from Herpes from arnd 25 days but cant c any changes in her body, just the red spots which were thr on first day are not now there...but thr is lot of pain in her body especially in that part of her stomach and back whr this was started...kindly pls recommend which doctor should we consult with.., a skin or mbbs doctor...even pain killers are also not working..??????
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear S Thakral I am sorry to hearabout your mother. I think she is suffering from a condition which is called "Post Herpetic Neuralgia." It is thought that to be due to nerve damage by herpes zostervirus as a result the affected area of the skinsendabnormal electrical impulses to thr brain of severe pain. The pain is variablefrom discomfort to extremely severe form and is like burning or stabbing in charecter.It starts after after herpes zoster rash and continued over three months.Ideally one should seek medical advisewith in three days after rash appears for the treatment of herpes zoster with antiviral antibiotics that reduces course of post herpetic neuralgia.I think ideally you should see a Dermatologist who will give her appropriate treatment.Herpetic neuralgia occurs 10% of peoples under 60 and 40% peoples over 60. The treatment for herpetic neuralgia are to reduce the pain from the site is to apply lidocane skin patches,aspirin mixed with diethyl ether,nonopied analgesic paracetamol, nonsteroid anti inflamatory drugs like ibuprofen, diclofinac, opieds tramadol, morphine ,fentanyl application of high consentrated capsicum ointment, antidepressant drugs like amitryptiline, venlafaxine; Anticonvulsant drugs likr carbamezapine, gabapentin, relaxation techniques, heat therapy, cold therapy, Transcutanious electrical nerve stimulator(TENS). most progress with slow restoration. Kindest regards.
Answered: Sun, 29 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor