Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Herniated disc after back injury. Tried acupuncture and steroid injections of little help. Had UTI. What next?

I m a 26 year old female that injured my back last year resulting in a herniated disc at L5-S1 with left sided radiculopathy . I m currently taking 1200mg gabapentin three times a day for burning to left leg. Dr had me try physical therapy (which didn t seem to help), acupuncture (didn t help), and 4 epidural steroid injections (only 1 helped). Since last July I ve had 5 UTIs (no prior history of UTIs). Since January I ve had a UTI every month. Sometimes my back hurts so bad I can t relax my muscles enough to pee. PCP had me see urologist to see if it was anything other than my back causing this-still awaiting results. Got an upright MRI done this past week since there s been no improvement in pain. MRI showed some new things that the traditional MRI never picked up last year. MRI stated L1-L2 3mm bulging disc mildly compressing thecal sac, L2-L3 3mm bulging disc mildly compressing thecal sac, L5-S1 7.5 central disc protrusion mildly compressing thecal sac, and loss of lumbar lordosis curvature. Not sure what should be done considering I ve done everything else I can. Started noticing within the last couple months that right after I urinate, I tend to leak a little. With all the UTI s I ve been getting, not sure if surgery would be the way to go if it s a result of the thecal sac being compressed. What should I do next?
Asked On : Wed, 11 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi ,
You have PIVD with radiculopathy without bladder ( urinary problem due to UTI ) and bowel involvement . Now as all conservative method has not shown improvement so you may go for decompression surgery with or without pedicle screw fixation .
So visit a orthopaedic centre where these surgical interventions are performed and treated accordingly .

Thanks n regards
Answered: Mon, 7 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor