Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Hepatitis B patient willing to conceive. Will the mother be protected?

My wife and i are both Chinese Students studying in America. We are planning to have a baby recently. But the situation is a little complicated that my wife have hepatitis B . And recently i was always wandering is that OK for a Asain mother who has hepatitis B to give birth in America? I am not doubt the high tech in the hospital of U.S, but the experience to deal the situation like what i mentioned above. Because barely American has hepatitis B. What i am worry about is that whether the hospital in U.S have a good way to protect mother to child infection of hepatitis B? Looking forward your reply, and our future baby s health is accounting on you. Thank you. Happy new year.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
OBGYN 's  Response
Once the mother is Hep B affected,there is nothing else to be done in terms of cure.The viral load can of course be monitored but the virus remains in the body. There is no contraindication to pregnancy.But you need to be informed that the fetus may be infected after birth.That can be tested after birth.Nowadays,immunoglobulin given timely after the child's birth often helps in avoiding infection.American hospitals ate extremely well equipped and can no no doubt handle the situation.
Answered: Fri, 11 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor