Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Heavy prostate, low urinary retention in bladder, slow stream, incomplete urination. Surgery required?

I have checked my prostate . Now it weighs 47gm and 340ml urinal retention in the bladder . The flow of urine is slow and finally complete urination is not there. After few seconds again some drops are discharged. At this state any surgery reqd or can it be cured with medicine. I am presently taking one tab of Finast every day.
Asked On : Mon, 28 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  147
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, Dear Rajan,

Prostatomegaly is a common disorder of the prostate and occurs usually in elder men.But you have not mention your age here.I hope that this is Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) .But we have to exclude Prostatic carcinoma can obstruct the urethra either by a direct mass effect (as in BPH) or by invasion of the wall.I think you have BPH and like to answer to that.

The disease is caused due to enlargement of the prostate gland. The disease can be cured by normal medication or surgical methods .

In some cases drugs (eg. finasteride, prazosin, terazosin) can be used to shrink the enlarged prostate slightly. Most cases require surgery once symptoms develop as you mention.

The indications for prostatectomy include the following symptoms or findings secondary to prostatic obstruction: acute urinary retention; recurrent or persistent urinary tract infections; recurrent gross hematuria; documented significant residual urine after voiding with or without overflow incontinence; pathophysiological changes of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder; abnormally low urinary flow rate; and normal flow rate with abnormally high intravesical voiding pressure and intractable symptoms such as nocturia, frequency, and urgency.

So..I would like to assess your symptoms and investigate first. meantime you can get medication and chatheterization also possible for relieve symptoms.I feel that you may need surgery in near future.
Answered: Mon, 28 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor