Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Heart palpitations, sinus tachycardia, fluctuating heart beat. Blood test, ECG done. Causes?

i ve been to my doctor because i as having palpitations so i had a blood test and a ecg done and he said that i have sinus tachycardia but today i went for a walk came back and after eating my heart was beating fast then normal again for a few beats and then it speeds up again for a few beats and slows down and then speeds up again is it just sinus tachycardia or something else
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  117
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is advisable to have it investigated.

The nerves of the heart may be diseased .
There is a condition called Sick Sinus Syndrome – fast or slow rates at different times.
At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) are responsible!

A thorough history and physical examination is the first step -

ECG (Electrocardiogram / EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination.
If a routine ECG does not show, 24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring (HOLTER) is done to analyse and plan for further management.

ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).

TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).

LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active) and so on. Your Internist shall suggest based on the situation.
There are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and has a risk (though minimal) and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST. The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor