Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Heart attacks, bypass surgeries, stroke, brain bleed, fluids going directly to lungs, choking on food

My father had to see a specialist,and they said when he drinks the fluids are going directly to his lungs.and he is always choking on his food when eating. My father has had some health issues 2 heart attacks, 2 bypass surgeries, stroke and a brain bleed .They said he needs to use a thickener in his drinks,is this all they can do?
Asked On : Sat, 31 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Markdewolf.
It appears, from your description, that your father is aspirating thin liquids, which is why his physicians are recommending a thickener. Having aspiration can lead to aspiration pneumonia, which can be life threatening. The only other solution to this problem is to stop allowing your father to eat and drink. Nutrition would be accomplished by placing a PEG tube in his stomach which will allow him to receive nutrition bypassing the mouth.

Be well, Dr. Kimberly
Answered: Sat, 31 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor