Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Hearing difficulty in one ear, abnormal ear drum with scars, had tubes in and out of the ear. Treatment?

i have had tubes in and out of my ears since i was 5 years old 14 times i am 30 now and have not seen an ent since i was 12 i am now having hearing problems in my left ear if i block my right ear i cant hear anything at all my family dr is a tool and will not refer me to an ent she says she wants to see how it goes 1st i get ear infections all the time more in my left then my right i have had alot of drs say that my ear drum looks abnormal with lots of scars on the drum one even said my drum looks like mush i went out and spent 2000.00 hearing aids yesterday cuz i cant get into an ent nor are my problems being fixed could you give me some insight on what to do or what could be done as everyone around me is getting sick of me saying what or repeating thereselfs cuz i cant hear
Asked On : Fri, 20 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  68
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi welcome health care magic forum,

Gromet or tube or ventilation tube is inserted in children for serous ottits media .

One time insertion of the tube may deform the tympanic membrane/drum.

14 times tube insertion definitely may cause scaring and retraction pocket.

Retraction pocket leads to middle ear infection and may also damage the hearing .

In my opinion before putting hearing aid you must get rid of ear infection.

Alternatively you can use a Bone Anchored Hearing AID (BAHA) temporarily to improve hearing.

I would suggest you should see an ENT specialist for thorough examination and otoscopic examination. You can undergo a pure tone audiometry and CT Scan- temporal bone to know the condition of ossicles.

Answered: Sat, 21 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor