Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Having upper right abdominal pain. Feeling nausea. Taken paracetamol and nurofen. Suggestion to reduce the pain

hi, I have been suffering with upper right abdominal pain for 3 days now, it became worse Thursday afternoon for around an hour causing great discomfort. It has now ceased to a dull ache with pain underneath the right rib. Although there has been a feeling of nausea but has been no vomit . The colour of my urine has also darkened. I have tried paracetamol which offer no relief and neurofen which offer a little more relief, is there a suggestion of what can be taken to ease the pain, Thankyou, Julie
Asked On : Tue, 15 May 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Julie,

Upper right abdominal pain with nausea is indicative of cholecystitis i.e gall bladder inflammation.
I would suggest you to consult physician for ultrasound gall bladder. In that case, you will need to take antibiotics.
Even trauma to ribs can cause pain, but in your case this history is not present.
Even kidney or gall bladder stone can produce such pain.
Sometimes it can gas problem.
In females two more possibilities are ovarian cyst and ectopic pregnancy.
You need to consult physician, get examine. Physician can decide about ultrasound and further treatment.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I will be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr . Neelam.

Answered: Tue, 15 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Shekappa C M's  Response
hello dear
right upper abdominal pain usualy caused by GALLBLADDER DISEASES provided, if it is coliky (spasmodic pain). if it is dull aching cause goes more in favour of liver disease. hence you need to under go ultrasound examination of abdomen and pelvis. if report comes as gall stone disease, you may need laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
hope this answer is helpful to you
take care
Answered: Sat, 30 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor