Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Having symptoms of stomach viral. Had stomach infection previously. Scheduled for bloodwork. Anything serious?

hello, I am 46, i have always been pretty well, until lately. I have had what seems like a stomach viral. Although, I have had no fever, i have had, stomach cramps , hurting and some bloating . I have also had at least 1-7 times a day vomiting , with 2-3 intervals of only eating maybe 4 soda crackers and still being sick. Only drinking H20. There is no definate patterns. When trying to eat, I get sick. If i only take my meds of am, I get sick. I have lost 12 lbs in almost 3 wks and not even tried. I have always eaten, and been overweight . This not eating and being sick and vomiting is NOT me. It takes an act of Congress for me to throw up. It has become a daily habit. and the past 2 days i have been able to keep food down, which is a plus. Last sept., i had an infection in the lining of my stomach. severe cramping etc. this started out similar and had heartburn , indigestion, etc. but then cleared off and now just SiCK! ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE/ THIS IS WORRYING ME. I AM SCHEDULED TO DO BLOODWORK! AFRAID OF CANCER AND ALMOST POSITIVE I HAVE SOMETHING BAD. SCARED!!!
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Gastrointestinal infection usually does not last for so long. So as you definitely are not improving, it is necessary for you to seek medical help as soon as possible.
Such symptoms can be caused by bowels obstruction due to inflammatory bowels disease or colon cancer, stomach ulcers and narrowing due to chronic inflammation, stomach cancer. If your abdominal pain is more in the upper right quadrant, and radiates to the back, gallstones or acute pancreatitis is possible.

I suggest you to do not wait anymore and visit your doctor as soon as possible. Blood work, liver tests, abdominal X-ray and ultrasound should be performed at first. Upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy (depending of which disease is more possible) should be considered.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sun, 17 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor