Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Having small red spot on gum.

For about 4 months now I have had a small rad spot right on my gum underneath my tooth. I do not think it has gotten any bigger, but it bleeds very easily and is worrying me because it is not going away. I do have a little gingivitis, but I brush everyday so I take pretty good care of my teeth, but I am just worried it is cancer or something. Do you have any ideas?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Feb 2010
Answers:  5 Views:  8987
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Hello there....There are many reasons for that...Do you have any history of injury to the tooth?or is your tooth decayed? either of the causes' the infection spreads to the apical part of tooth and would result in sinus...that intermittently keeps discharging pus and have to either get you tooth root canal treated or get it removed...
if you dont have any of the above mentioned causes' then the problem might be with your gums proper...Gingivitis is the inflammation of your gums that happens because of accumulation of the deposits over your teeth....You need to get your scaling done...Following which a gum astringent is prescribed that would take care of your bleeding gums... Consult your dental surgeon for further clinical evaluation and management...
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Ankit Aggarwal's  Response
Hi nathan
chances of this red spot being cancerous in nature can only be confirmed by a complete clinical examination, so visit your nearest dentist soon. but check for any whitish pus like discharge from it which can rule out malignancy and can be due to abscess in the tooth. is there any decayed tooth near this red spot which can help in the diagnosis of the abscess ?

Wishing you better health
with regards
Dr Ankit
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. A small, non growing spot is very unlikely to be due to cancerous.. It could be due to chronic vitamin deficiency.. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables.. A multivitamin pills would also help.. You can take the doctors opinion to know an about the condition...

Answered: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, please do get the spot or ulcer checked by a dentist. It may be a simple ulcer but itis always better to rule out a serious condition. Take treatment for the gingivitis as well otherwise it may result in bone loss and loss of teeth in a long run. Take care and reach me on 9848813162 if you need any information.
Answered: Mon, 10 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Akash Prasad's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic!
A chronic red spot on gums is a matter of concern. Try to put a little pressure in the spot and check if there is any whitish discharge from it. If so it is a sinus opening due to a chronic Periapical abscess due to an infected tooth. Please visit your local dentist for a Root canal treatment in this case
If you do not see any discharge, get a confirmatory biopsy done to rule out malignancy i.e cancer.
Hope this helps,
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor