Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Having sharp pain under rib cage, hiccups. Was taking codeine for headache. What is causing this?

Hi. For the last few weeks I ve had a sharp pain that feels like it s underneath the lhs of my rib cage. It comes and goes (mainly there all the time now). it hurts when I breathe/ hiccup . Sometimes so bad it hurts my neck when I breathe hard. It doesn t hurt when I cough (except for the breathing in before coughing). No medical history except take codeine for bad headaches . Had no accident to cause this. It feels like I ve broken a rib (but not as painful as it s not continuous. Any ideas? This aside, for the last 30 years, I ve very occasionally (twice a year) had sharp stabbing pains in that area. I mentioned this to the doctor years ago, who said I probably did it during PE at school. However, that pain is now similar to the pain I ve got continuously (give or take), though not as dramatic. I m 44 year old female.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  1030
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Pain centered under the ribs, may manifest itself in several ways. It may be sharp and stabbing or just pain unbearable. This can be particularly worrisome as there are several major organs that lie within the region,.portions of the colon, part of the liver, the left kidney,the pancreas, the spleen. and the stomach,
Ultimately, pain in this area can have many causes such as a stomach and bowel disturbances, ulcers, acid reflux and IBS, broken ribs , an inflammation and infection and spleen irritation etc,
Some causes are easily treatable.Mild inflammation can be addressed with pain relievers or anti- inflammatory drugs,and transisnt bowel issues may be treated with digestive aids. However other causes, such as pancreatitis, broken ribs, collapsed lungs are very serious and requires immediate attention.
It is always best to consult your Doctor to get on accurate diagnosis and treatment plan ,especially, if the pain is severe.
Answered: Wed, 5 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor