Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Having painful knee, have swelling and very sensitive to touch. Guide

I recently fell on my knee while diving playing for volley ball. I landed on my left knee right below the kneecap. It has very little swelling but the weird thing is it is very sensitive to getting hit or touched but the skin feels numb at the same time. If anything touches my knee cap towards the bottom front of it I feel a painful burning "shock" go up the left front side of my knee cap, almost in a spider web type feeling. I am having no movement constrictions from this but it is very painful when anything pumps into my knee. I have a feeling I injured my patella just not sure what as this is a new pain to me.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello.By the symptoms that you have, inflammation of the bursa of the patella is a possible diagnosis.After trauma, the bursa is inflamed and causes pain.
Repose, elevation of the leg and the local application of cold
thrice a day is the recommended treatment.
Also ,in my opinion, Aceclophenac 100 mg twice a day can be taken for treating your knee pain.Please consult your local doctor for a prescription.
If after 7 days of treatment referred, your symptoms do not improve, a knee radiography is recommended.
I wish you good health.
(If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)
Answered: Thu, 25 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vidya KR's  Response
Hi, Thanks for using HCM.

It could be due to patellar fracture or ligament tear.
Need to get examined for it, Get X-ray of knee done and MRI of knee.
fractured patella needs to be operated and ligament tear needs correction.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Vidya
Answered: Thu, 25 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
From description it seems to be soft tissue injury over knee. Numbness may be due to pressure over cutaneous nerve fibres by edema itself.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.Beside icing and elevating it, you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Answered: Thu, 25 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor