Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Having pain in upper neck, lower head. Taken headache tablet. What is wrong?

Hi there. I have a serious pain that radiates in the left side of my upper neck/lower head when me and my wife have intercourse. It has only happened twice now but is of great concern to me. The first time the pain came I took cold water and ran it over my head for about 5 minutes and my whole neck became numb and the pain died down completely. Last night it started and after doing the same with the water the pain did not stop and is still there but already took headache tablets and it went away totally but the medication is wearing off now and the pain is faintly returning. I am not very active in my life but not obese but do have a few pounds to loose. I do smoke but it does not make the pain worse or better. To give you a profile of myself. I am 27 years old smoker and drinker but occasionally. I have not had any operations in my life nor admitted for any disease or chronic illness . Please help me with my situation as I would really like to know what the way forward would be and if it could be something serious. Me and my wife would like to stay active as we are trying to get pregnant. Regards
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  16
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

A pain in neck/ lower part of the head which is aggravated on physical activity (after sexual intercourse) can be due to many reasons.
Is there any swelling- soft or firm in this part of neck?
If there is presence of any kind of swelling, a fine needle aspiration of this lesion needs to be done.
This is a simple procedure in which cellular material is aspirated from the swelling with a needle.
These cells are stained and examined under the microscope.
This investigation helps to determine the site or charater of the lesion.

If there is no associated swelling/ lump then the cause of this pain has to be investigated.
It could be due to nerve involvement, muscular pain, or soft tissue pain.
Further investigations can only be ordered after clinical examination.
so, consult your doctor for aclinical examination, relevant investigations and thus management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Wed, 12 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor