Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Having pain below right ribcage. No use of medicine. Is it irritable bowel syndrome?

I have a pain just below my right ribcage for almost a month now. It s a kind of stingy/ stitch like pain which is not extremely sore but becoming very annoying as I get it every day. It s usually fine in the morning and then comes on later in the day. I also notice it more when I stand from a sitting or lying position. I have had an abdominal ultrasound and both my gallbladder and liver were fine. Dr. thinks it might be IBS but I have taken meds for this and didn t seem to make any difference.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  169
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

In this area apart from gallbladder, there pain can be also caused by stomach diseases, pancreas diseases and large intestine diseases.
I suggest you to have some more diagnostics before IBS will be diagnosed. If you are 50 or older, colonoscopy should be done, especially if you have any blood in stool, constipations or lost some weight recently.
To rule out stomach and duodenum ulcers, upper GI endoscopy should be done. Some more blood tests should be also done: liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin, urine analysis.
If still no findings, abdominal CT should be done. Only after all this tests, IBS can be a diagnose.
With such nonspecific abdominal pains, it is always worth to try Rifaximine treatment which eliminates severe bacterial infection.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Prasad Akole's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM.
The lower rib cage pain could be due to a variety of reasons. If liver and gall bladder look alright, one must look for any lung/ pleural diseses on the right by doing an Xray chest.
Also bowel could be a source, not necessarily IBS.

It could be muscular if any sprain etc..
You should see a good physician, get evaluated well and be guided accordingly.
Is there any nausea, vomitting, cough, breathlessness, loose motions etc?

Would be glad to assist if you have any more queries.
Thanks and get well.
Dr. Prasad Akole
Critical care specialist
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shoaib Khan's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

If the doctor has suspected IBS, treatment with anti-spasmodics and a strict diet would be the main modes of treatment. Let me list a few items that should strictly be excluded from your diet, as they can aggravate your condition:
-Red or raw meat
-Dairy products
-Carbonated drinks
-Sugar containing drinks or food
-Fried, oily or fatty food
-Salad dressings

A few more items can cause an irritated bowel, but are not common and more individual specific. The pain could be due to either the irritation or a condition requiring treatment with antacids. Please discuss a thorough examination and treatment with your doctor. Pain killers are not the solution to this.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor