Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Having pain and itching in eyes when exposed to sunlight. Have pterygium. Surgery? Concerned

This Myeth from the Philippines, when I was younger an eye doctor told me that I have pterygium required for an operation because it grows very close to my cornea but since the operation is costly I just ignore it. Now I'm suffering from itchiness and to much pain when im exposed to sunlight and it really dusty in the place where Im working. Is this something I can do with it besides having that operation? Hoping for your kind response to my concern. God bless and more power
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  112
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi MYETH , I am Dr Bilal and I am an Ophthalmologist
Welcome to Health Care Magic
I would like to answer your question and your satisfaction is my goal .

Pterygium usually doesn't require treatment if symptoms are mild , but as u are giving history of pain and irritation in eyes on exposure to sun light and you are working in a dusty place , I would suggest you to use the following medications . Use these for 02 weeks .

1. Lubricating eye drops or ointments, such as Blink or Refresh drops ( Put 1 or 2 drops in eye(s) 06 Hourly )
2. Occasional use of vasoconstrictor eyedrops, such as Naphcon A ( Put 1 or 2 drops in eye(s) 08 hourly )
3. Short course of steroid eyedrops, such as FML or Lotemax

The definitive treatment in your case is surgery, as the reddish membrane has grown very close to the cornea and in later stages it may interfere with vision .

If you have any other questions , i am here to answer you .
Good Luck
Best regards .
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is not a very complicated / it is outside the eyeball...
You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
It was diagnosed years ago...

All your present symptoms may not be accountable by it.
You should see an Ophthalmologist...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Siddartha's  Response
welcome to health care magic
pterygium is a degenerative condition of conjunctiva in which it slowly progresses towards cornea and encroach upon it..
upto encroachment of cornea you will not have any problems except for cosmetic purpose..
when it encroaches on cornea your vision will not be proper,,itchy,,in due course you may get double vision(seeing one object as twice)..when it completely cover cornea your will be lost,and at this stage you will need a corneal transplant..surgical excision is the only effective treatment of choice..before getting delay consult ophthalmologist to get corrected..
hope you understand my suggestion..have a good vision
thank you
Answered: Sun, 21 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor