Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Having mental disbalance after an accident. What should be done?

iam currently writing from Dhaka, Bangladesh. One of driver s brother met with an accident 5 years back. He was a normal person till then and he was also working as driver till he met with the accident. After the accident he started behaving abnormally and he used to fight and abuse everyone till last year. Last year he started behaving normally after some treatment and now the problem is he is forgetting what happened after every 30 min to 1hr. He some time remembers some things like driving, manual gear first gear etc., What should be done to make him normal. Since they are from poor family, i want to help them to be normal. Please let me know, if i have to send him to India to any good hospital for treatment.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. It is possible that post accident the person has developed organic personality changes. A CT/MRI would be advisable at this stage. Also assessment of cognition would be helpful for management. Low dose anti-psychotics would be the preferred medication in this case generally. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Cira,

Thanks for posting on HCM
From your description, I can tell that your friends problem has become very complicated and might not have any definitive treatment as from the look of things there is probably permanent nerve damage in the brain and additional psychological disorder. He would require the attention of a neurosurgeon + a neuropsychiatrist in order to be able to handle his problem.
There would have to run a series of exams such as MRI, brain CT scan, EEG and even PET scan just to be able to determine the cause of his problem and also see if it can be surgically or medically corrected. From the look of things he did not receive proper treatment immediately after the accident and so, the injury caused in his head, probably has become irreversible.
If you have the means, then you can start his follow up and later on management.

Wish you and your friend the best
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor