Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having infertility problem, irregular periods. Can I go for IUI or IVF?

hello doctor, I have being on this issue of fertility going to 2 years now my question is I have irregular period but for the pass 1year 6 months my period is regular but no positive pregnancy test a friend told me about folliculometry I don’t know if u can tell me more about it. I’m fed-up I want to go for IUI or IVF please advise me on what to do. I have being married for 3years still now know positive test hope to hear from you. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for your question.
Infertility involves both a male and female factor.
With respect to you, It would be worth knowing if you have done a complete infertility work up. This runs from hormonal testing, ultrasound and a hysterosalpingography. These exams shall indicate the state of your uterus and tubes. Infertility management usually starts with a proper consultation to ascertain the frequency, regularity and timing of sexual contact. This usually involves a joint consultation between you and your spouse. This is followed by an infertility evaluation of the couple with series of tests to exclude infectious causes of infertility. A male infertility panel is also prescribed.
Depending on the results, drugs or lifestyle changes are prescribed. It must be known that even after all tests and prescriptions are made, most couples might get a pregnancy about a year later. Its not actually worth it to start rushing for IUI or IVF, if a proper infertility consultation has not been done, and if the duration of post consultation treatment is less than one year.
Your infertility specialist shall then decide based on all of these factors, with your accordance to undertake the procedure.
I suggest you book an appointment with an infertility specialist and review a management plan with him.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Mahendra Lohar's  Response

thank you for query,

infretility is vast subject, in this case proper work up is essential.

causes of infertility in female are-

Hypothalamic-pituitary factors

•     Hypothalamic dysfunction


Ovarian factor

•     Polycystic ovary syndrome,

infertility in polycystic ovary syndrome

•     Anovulation. Female infertility caused by anovulation is called "anovulatory infertility", as opposed to "ovulatory infertility" in which ovulation is present.[28]

•     Diminished ovarian reserve,

•     Luteal dysfunction[29]

•     Gonadal dysgenesis (Turner syndrome)

Tubal (ectopic)/peritoneal factors

•     EndometriosisPelvic adhesions

•     Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID, usually due to chlamydia)[33]

•     Tubal occlusion[34]

•     Tubal dysfunction

Uterine malformation

•     Uterine fibroids (leiomyoma)

•     Asherman's Syndrome[36]

]Cervical factors

•     Cervical stenosis[37]


]Vaginal factors

•     Vaginismus

•     Vaginal obstruction

Diagnosis of infertility begins with a medical history and physical exam. The healthcare provider may order tests, including the following:

•     Lab tests

•     hormone testing, to measure levels of female hormones at certain times during a menstrual cycle

•     day 2 or 3 measure of FSH and estrogen, to assess ovarian reserve

•     measurements of thyroid function[40] (a thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level of between 1 and 2 is considered optimal for conception)

•     measurement of progesterone in the second half of the cycle to help confirm ovulation

•     Examination and imaging

•     an endometrial biopsy, to verify ovulation and inspect the lining of the uterus

•     laparoscopy, which allows the provider to inspect the pelvic organs

•     fertiloscopy, a relatively new surgical technique used for early diagnosis (and immediate treatment)

•     Pap smear, to check for signs of infection

•     pelvic exam, to look for abnormalities or infection

•     a postcoital test, which is done soon after intercourse to check for problems with sperm surviving in cervical mucous (not commonly used now because of test unreliability)
and male factor also work up for semen analysis ,, proper sexual life,and proper functioning of male genitilia.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor