Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having increased PVCs. Experiencing sinus tachycardia. Lab tests normal. Cause for symptoms?

I am 44 y/o female. I am healthy and have always been active in sports. I do have nasal allergies and am on patanase , singulair, b vitamins , vitamin E , and calcium . I am 5 91/2 and 154 pounds. I have very rarely experienced PVC s throughout my lifetime, but in the last 2-3 years they have increased. In the last 2-3 months, they have increased to many throughout a day s time. Some days more than others. Now I am starting to experience sinus tach and have shown u-waves in a 6 lead monitor. I have done an event monitor that exhibited the PVCs at one point in a run of 5. All my labs are within normal ranges. My bp is in the low 100 s over 70-90. I am frustrated in not knowing what is causing this. Some say it could be due to premenopause as well. Again, all labs are normal and my doctor is suggesting beta blockers, but I hesitate to take that step without a real diagnosis and with a fairly low bp. What do you think?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is very difficult to find the cause in many problems - the approach is costly, cumbersome, not cost effective and poor success rate. A typical case is increased blood pressure. Treatment may often be easy and safe.

You may need several investigations -
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
      TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).
     LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active) and so on.
     If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, there are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and has a risk (though minimal) and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation. Discuss with him and plan for further approach

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor