Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having horseshoe kidney with kidney stones, abdominal pain, swelling in limbs, weakness tiredness. Suggested reconstruction of kidney. What should be done?

I have a horseshoe kidney. Since 2005 I ve had numerous kidney stones , weight gain of 50 pounds In 4 months. Most recent last few years have had hydronephrosis , swelling I. Abdomen pain and swelling, swelling of legs and hands, weakness and tiredness. I have back, side pain, and abdomen, recent tests showed I have 33% on right kidney and 60% on left. Right kidney is small, weaker and were all my problems are. Constant blood in urine . My doctors aren t doing what they can do. Also right kidney is delayed in function overall so I ve been told. 2 years ago I had 45% percent in right kidney. My urologist said I might need reconstruction with possible separation, but no one can give me names doctors who specialize in this and surgeon names. My life has become so affected my this and I m so tired of not feeling good. I m tempted to go to mayo clinic. I m scared and worried. What should I do? Does anyone know doctors who Are top rated in this? Help
Asked On : Thu, 22 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  181
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Urologist 's  Response
Jul 2016
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Horseshoe Kidney with stones in both the kidneys
Your scan report are suggesting gradual loss of kidney function on both the sides resulting you going in to chronic renal failure which is manifested by swelling of the face,hand and legs.
Since kidney damage is due to obstruction to the flow of urine due to angulation of both the ureters due to crossing of both the ureters over isthmus of the kidney(portion which connects to both the kidneys)there are chances of recovery of kidney function on excision of this portion of kidney and releasing the obstruction of both the ureters.which will restore the kidney function to near normal.
Please consult urologist for further treatment.
This surgery can be carried out by any experienced Urologist.
Dr.Patil. cr
Answered: Mon, 21 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor