Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Having high BP in evening. Unable to get proper sleep. Had put on weight recently. Should I worry about my BP?

Hi, I am worried that in the evenings my blood pressure rises. It may or may not be very high but it keeps me from getting enough sleep. It ranges from 130/85 to above 140/90. During the day it is much lower, mostly below 120/80. Is this something that I should worry about? I have put on about 5 pounds recently which i am trying to lose and I am thinking this may have something to do with it.
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
hi kohen, BP values are age related.rise in the evenings alone may be due to anxiety related.keep a diary and regularly note ur BP values.having coffee ,smoking,exercise proir to checking BP tends to rise it.hence just avoid above factors and check ur values and still it is high then u may need medications
Answered: Wed, 11 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Dinesh Kumar Bhatia's  Response
Hi A. Kohen and thanks for writing in at HCM
I am Jr. to a cardiologist and read your mail in detail. I dont know about your age but at any age Systolic BP should be not more than 140 mmHg and Diastolic BP not more than 90 mmHg. It is absolutely normal in you case. But if you worried from Hypertension or any other Heart disease than count your risk factors:
1. Family History of Heart disease, cant do any thing for that
2. Increasing age
2. Male Sex
4. High Total Cholesterol and Triglycerides level
5. Low Good Cholesterol i.e. HDL
6. Obesity, reduce weight because heart have to pump more if you increase weight to overcome blood demand of tissues, which ultimately cause Hypertension
7. Lack of exercise, do regular exercise for about 1 hr daily at a speed of 5 km per hr
8. Diabetes Mellitus, don't know in your case
Count your risk factor and get Fasting Lipid Profile checked and if it dearranged than consult your doctor and get proper medication for this.
Best wishes
Dr. Dinesh Kumar Bhatia
Health Care Magic
Answered: Tue, 10 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor