Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Having family history of breast cancer, my right breast increased in size drastically, no pain, tenderness. What can cause this problem?

Hello I m a 41ys old hispanic female with a family history of brest cancer. Four weeks ago I noticed my right breast have increase in size drastically from my left one. I have no pain, tenderness or discomfort. I have no insurance or the funds for an exam so Ihave not been checked for the past 5 years. What can cause this problem.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  178
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Lisambessette,

Thanks for posting your query,

With your family history and the fact that you are 41 years and having swollen unilateral breast swelling for 4 weeks, it will be advisable to get yourself examined as waiting to see if a serious complicated outcome arises might prove to be fatal. Painless breast mass could be as a result of benign mass but could as well be as result of malignancy (cancer). The only way to know the cause is of course getting examined. It can hardly be mastitis given the absence of pain and/or inflammation (as if that was the case, taking antiinflammatory and antibiotics will help you greatly) but know that most breast mass (benign or malignant) require excision (and probably biopsy).

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Oncologist, Surgical Dr. Rohan Khandelwal's  Response
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The symptoms which you have described coupled with your family history of breast cancer points towards a malignant lump in the breast which needs urgent attention. You should visit a breast surgeon and have it evaluated. In addition you need an ultrasound of the breast and a biopsy to prove the diagnosis.

Hoping for the best.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Andy Fine's  Response
if no lump unlikely to be cancer, but should be examined by dr.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Long duration / generalised enlargement not focal - are a bit comforting, but not fool proof..
There is no alternative for examination and investigation...
You should try other sources - like MUST SEE a doctor

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor