Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Having difficulty breathing, feels like windpipe has collapsed, non functional gag reflex. Treatment?

Several times in the past three months I have been waken by lack of air. It feels like my wind pipe has colapsed. I gasp for small amounts of air, until the pipe finally opens. It is awful. Additionally, sometimes when I eat it is like my gaging reflex is not working and food feels like it is going down the wrong pipe. I cough until it is better. Also after I eat I must keep clearing my pipes. My husband says cough it up will you but it is difficult.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pulmonologist 's  Response

You do need a complete work up. I suggest, to begin with you consult a pulmonologist who can look into your problem of breathing difficulty while asleep. Are you overweight? He may also check you up for `Obstructive Sleep Apnoea`. If required, you can then be referred to a gastroenterologist to rule out reflux disease and to a neurologist to rule out any nerurological problem.
Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor