Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Having depression and suicidal tendencies due to family pressure. Meditation has not helped. Any medications?

I am a 24 year old MSc passed out from Panjab univ. with quite good marks and currently I am preparing for UGC NET. Within this 1 year my life has witnessed ups and downs, well more of the downs then ups. My parents and elder siblings have started putting up restrictions on me which they never did earlier, I am putting away from my home from past 6 yrs (though my siblings live in d same city i live). In this one year gap i got few job offers but my family din't allow me to join since they were contractual, They want me to clear UGc n then get married. whensoever I try to convince them my point of view for my life, we end up in heated arguments and by end itz me who is made guilty , proved wrong, n blamed unnecessarily even for the acts which I have never committed. Now my siblings are nomore talking to me. All what is happening in my life is making me feel insane. I feel too low n at times i get suicidal thoughts.I feel all alone surrounded by so many people but there is nobody i can seek support from. I find myself too meek to tackle the situation. I was never like this ever before. My head keeps on aching all the time n I am not able to concentrate on my studies too.. i tried meditation too but i failed. whensoever I try ti meditate my life z graph starts revolving around me and i feel like crying. Things get worst in d evenings. Earlier I thought it would get better with time but itz not going so. Cn I gt some solution to overcome this mental state of mine.. please medicate me before I end up my life
PS- i can't think and see anything positive in my life . so please don't ask me to help by myself.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for using health care magic forum.

I have gone through your available history. You are having severe depression with suicidal ideas.

You should immediately consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and treatment.

You may get benefit from anti depressant drugs like escitalopram or imipramine or sertraline.

In severe cases, Doctor may consider for electroconvulsive therapy or deep brain stimulation.

I hope you will be fine soon.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vaishalee Punj's  Response

Thanks for your query.

There are some good anti-depressant medications available like escitalopram, bupropion, etc. Bupropion is prefered in males. You can easily get a prescription for an anti-depressant from a physician. You should also go for blood tests.

Things get worse in the evening because a person is tired from the day's work. You are in the phase of life when a lot of change happens. Sometimes a person cannot figure out good and bad options and end up in a miserable state. My advice is that you focus on yourself and stay away from people who are causing stress in your life. Whether to pursue further studies or to take up a job should be your decision. Maybe you can take up a job temporarily and can continue studies later in life.

Please do not put an end to your life. You are valuable to society. All phases are temporary and a person can get over it with a few modifications. It is also important that you do meditation under supervision of people or groups who teach meditation.

Hope I helped

Dr Vaishalee

Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
Meditation without expert advice can never help you
First consult a psychologist and get a good counseling sesion
Second take his advice and go though some psychotherapeutic techniques.
Third use thse techniques for some one month or so.
Think positive, act positive, you can win over any situation.
Wish good future.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor