Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Having cramps in the left lower abdomen. Unable to diagnose. What could it be?

Hi, my 11 year old son has lower left hand side abdominal cramps. He has had them for some time, and we have seen a doctor who cannot find any reason for them. He has just had like an explosion feeling tonight in his lower left hand side and says the cramps move up and down that side of his lower body. I looked up and noted the appendice was on the right hand side, so not sure what it could be.
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi ! Does your son get increased frequency of going for wash room associated with the cramps and a habit of eating junk foods form outside ? If yes, then possibly he suffering from simple collitis which needs a stool test and culture sensitivity test if required. Your family physician may prescribe some anti amebic drugs and some antibiotics along with some probiotics depending on clinical findings and also result of the stool test.
Next diagnosis which has to be excluded is a urinary tract infection, which may give rise to similar kind of situation. Go for a routine urine test and a culture sensitivity of urine if need be. Show the results to your family physician for further action.
You are right ! There is a very remote possibility of the pain being due to a appendicitis on the left side.
I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Wish your son an early recovery.
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Do he has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals/ blood in stools?
Is he suffering from spasmodic abdominal pain/ constipation/ diarrhea?
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of intestinal obstruction or gastroenteritis.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, blood sugar, x ray abdomen, renal function and serum electrolytes.
Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
He should also take complete antibiotic course, antispasmodics and probiotics.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor