Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Having bump on penis in size of pimple. Diagnosed as folicitus. Not tested for syphilis. Oraquick test non-reactive. Can this is syphilis or HIV?

My concern is over stds,specifically syphilis and hiv . I had a bump on my penis that looked like a big pimple ,went to see my pcp who diognosed folicitus but never ran any test for syphilis. I did ask about syphilis witch he replied a chancre is more of an open sore as opposed to a bump. Then my worry turned to hiv because as i googled everything i conveinced myself something had to be wrong. Took an oraquick rapid oral swab 6 months after incident witch came back non reactive. My questions are is the oraquick conclusive and is the description of the chancre correct. So far what ive learned is never to google anything cause it will basically tell you your dying.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate your concern to learn more, and your conclusion on the google information. Which I cannot deny.

A chancre (in case of syphilis) would be more like an open sore, as described to you by your doctor. But the presence of a bump, on the penis should not be concluded as folliculitis thsi early. Testing would be required, but not for diseases like syphilis or HIV, but for diseases like herpes or HPV (humanpapilloma virus).

I do not deny the fact that this could simply be folliculitis or an ingrown hair as well, but the worst will have to be ruled out, which is why I suggest screening for all sexually transmitted diseases, especially if you do not experience an improvement from treatment advise given for folliculitis.

6 months of testing after exposure to a HIV-infected individual, or needle, etc' is quite sufficient to diagnose HIV with the oraquick test. Although not completely accurate, we should not have to worry about HIV as of now, as it seems unlikely. But for your satisfaction, you could include HIV testing during your screening of sexually transmitted infections, when you visit the clinic/hospital.

I assume it goes without saying, please abstain from all forms of sexual contact in the mean time.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: . I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Wed, 26 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor