Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Having big cavity in tooth, horrible dental hygiene. Painful, swollen jaw. Numbnesss in mouth. Solution?

Hi I have horrible dental hygiene , havnt been to a dentist in 5+ years. I have a tooth that is basically like a bowl meaning the inside is gone and the outer walls remain. It has been hurting on and off the Past few weeks and this morning I woke up with a swollen jaw/cheek, and when you feel my cheek it is hard near jaw line. It s also numb when I move my mouth. I don t have a dentist, what should I do and is there any home soothing method, thx.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query ,

As described by you , your tooth is badly carious and the infection had spread to the surrounding periapical tissues . You need to visit to the Dentist and get check up done .
Take an x-ray of the tooth .
If you delay the treatment the infection will further spread to surrounding jaw bones spaces leading to space infections.

At home take saline water gargles 3-4 times a day .
Maintain a good oral hygiene .
Use 0.2% of chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily .
Take tab Flemiclav three times tab Dolonex three times for 3 days .
Get complete mouth scaling and polishing done .

Hope this helps out .

Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

From the details you have produced,its clear that you are not concerned about your dental health.
Please do brush your teeth twice daily.
Rinse your mouth after every meals.
The decayed teeth has to be restored/root canal treated.
As a home remedy,you can keep a cotton dipped in eugenol on the decyed teeth as medicament.
please do visit a dentist soon for permanent relief from pain.
hope this helps.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
It seems that you are having decayed tooth, having infection in that tooth causing swelling on the part.
Ideally after antibiotic medicine course you have to go for root canal treatment.
But as you do not have dentist, go for antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicine course.
In future consult dentist and follow his advise.
In future if you do not go for root canal treatment, your tooth will break down and you have to go for extraction of tooth.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor