Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Having abdominal pain and urine not passing properly. Spiral ct scan of abdomen done. What is the actual problem?

Spiral C T scan of whole Abdomen Name of patient- R.k.Saxena Age-73(Male) Non-diabetic Asthametic no-B.P Recognised Details:Patient have sevior pain in lower Abdomen.And Abdomen is swelled. Urine is not passing properly. IMPRESSSION: Of C T scan- An ill-defined area fluid collection with multiple air bubbles close to the descending colon in LIF? pericolic/diverticular abscess . Endoscopy may be suggested for further evaluation. Drugs- RANTEC I.V, MONOCEF I.V 1GM, DYNAPAR. --- 5 DAYS (GIVEN) What is the actual problem & suggest medecine and treatment.
Asked On : Wed, 23 May 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  77
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General Surgeon 's  Response
hello dear
an elderly patient with above symtoms and CT scan report most likely diagnosis is diverticulitis. diverticula is nothing but a hallow projection from colon (Its like cup).since already there is a abscess, it might have perforated. hence you are adviced to continue antibiotics,analgesis. once symptoms come down ,you are adviced to under go COLONOSCOPY ( a test to visualise the colon from inside).
after confirmation , diverticular disease requires SEGMENTAL RESECTION of colon provided patient with stands the procedure.
take care
Answered: Wed, 4 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Oncologist, Surgical Dr. Rohan Khandelwal's  Response
Mr. Saxena is suffering from diverticulitis (outpouching of the wall of the large intestine with inflammation of that area). This problem is quite common in elderly patients and can be associated with abscess formation, fistula formation (connection between the intestine and the urinary bladder) or perforation of the colon.
He has to be started on IV antibiotics (which is he is receiving although Monocef alone will not suffice, he will need Metrogyl for anaerobic organisms and Amikacin for gram negative organisms). Along with this he will require some form of drainage of this abscess (either open or ultrasound guided).
A colonoscopy is also required to assess the extent of problem but should be done under the cover of antibiotics.

Hope he gets well soon
Answered: Wed, 23 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor