Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having a hole in a eardrum

My cousin having a eardrum problem. while he was playing the cricket he had this problem. goa tree dry stem went into his ear drum suddenly. Next day he went to doctor. he gave medicine. but doctor said wait 2 months, if it is not heiling then go to operation. Can anyone please give the response for my cousin's problem. He should go for operation or not? give me suggestions
Wed, 21 Mar 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
It is a traumatic perforation ,usually heals well.keep the ears dry,no ear drops,take a course of amoxycillinand wait for 2-3 weeks.then review with an ent surgeon.donot blow the nose,donot use anything to clean ear .you may use nasal drops also for 5 days followed by steam inhalation.this helps to keep middle ear aerated so helps closure of perforation.One may wait easily upto 3 months to see if it closes spontaneously..
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum
If it is just a traumatic perforation then the perforation will definitely heal until any infection supervenes the healing process. In case of any ossicular disruption then he might require a surgery later on. Please ensure that the water does not get into his ear, avoid any kind of ear drops. If there is any cold or nasal block, should report to the doctor immediately.

Take care
Dr. Naveen Kumar
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

traumatic perforations usually heal spontaneously unless they are very big or complicated by other factors. follow the doctor's advice. keep the ear dry - NO DROPS.


  Anonymous's Response

yes he should go na. the doctor adviced him right?

 tell him to get checked again and do the needful.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor