Owl Image

Having Skin problems.

My 4 year old child has skin problems. Doctor says it is eczema. The medicines are not very helpful sometimes. What is the best thing to do?
Fri, 13 May 2011
We don't allow our child to walk on bare feet, keep applying petrolium gelly/Nivea soft and other cold creams. Still his feet are cracked on either sides at a number of places and now the blister like infections are seen creeping over to the legs.
please advice
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Dear Ved prakash,eczema needs regular and prolonged treatment.So there is no need to worry.Do not keep changing doctor and try everything that comes to your way as suggested by family and friends.Please keep regular follow up with your doctor,he will be fine.buy.
  Anonymous's Response
If a doctor has diagnosed it as eczema then you talk to the same doctor about the medication/application.However, if you have not spoken with a doctor to diagnose whether it is eczema or not then you meet a dermatologist at the arliest. many skin conditions can be passed of as eczema and your child may be going through a wrong line of treatment.
Dermatologist Dr. Surbhi Mahajan's  Response
The most common childhood eczema is Atopic Dermatitis. It is usually very itchy and associated with dry skin and history of asthma in family.You should keep your child's skin oily by using less of soaps and apply moisturizer frequently.This disease has recurrent course and sometimes can flare to the extent steroid need to be taken orally. Kindly confirm what type of eczema your child is having and get it treated accordingly.

Don’t give your child hot water bath and don’t rub with towel while drying after bath- this can increase the problem. Use mild soaps only and don’t use shampoo.
You can use moisturizers and Vaseline to make sure your child does not get dry skin which makes eczema very bad. Give him good amount of water also and cut his nails short so that he does not scratch skin badly.
  Anonymous's Response
a good soap to use is inkomfe. its fantastic for excema, see the following website for testimonials to it: http://www.inkomfe.com/acatalog/Testimonials.html try ebay to find some for a good price.
  Anonymous's Response
Best thing to do is to meet the doctor physically.
white spot in skin
Let your child drink water more than enough