Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Have weak adult teeth and pain in the gum. Suggestions?

Hello, I am currently a student applying for dental insurance. It will not be effective for about 3 weeks which is when I plan on making an appointment to see a dentist but one of my adult teeth is falling out now. It must have became weak quite a while ago and I didn t notice until now that when I take bites my tooth has been being chipped away. There s only about half of it left now and as I said it s extremely weak. There s a dull throbbing pain in the gum area surrounding the root of the tooth and in the same exact place on the other side (those teeth are fine as far as I know though...) I m wondering if I should pull it out tonight or go to the hospital or what my other options are....thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  114
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
Periodontitis or pyorrhea is a set of inflammatory diseases affecting the periodontium , i.e., the tissues that surround and support the teeth . Periodontitis involves progressive loss of the alveolar bone around the teeth, and if left untreated, can lead to the loosening and subsequent loss of teeth.
Ideally, a periodontist ie: a gum surgeon must examine you and the treatment may consist of the following:
-deep scaling
-non surgical placement of drugs (antibiotics) in pockets to prevent further infection and bone loss
-flap surgery (in very advanced cases where non surgical intervention does not work)
-splint loose teeth (If present)
However, until you visit your dentist you may use a good chlorhexidine mouthwash and warm saline gargles twice daily to flush out the stuck food from the pockets thus preventing further infection.

Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome ,
After reading your history i can say you are suffering from localized periondontitis on one side of the jaw which seems to be infective in cause.

At the same time , your teeth has worn out as you have mentioned that is they have undergone severe attrision which leads to sensitivity on consuming hot and cold due to exposre of underlying nerve tissue.

You need to visit a dentist and get an OPG radiograph done which will show the condition of teeth , underlying bone support , bone loss , levels of gums and presence of infection if any.

Accordingly . your mobile teeth can be treated with a periondontal flap surgery, curreattage to remove infection and bone grafts if needed to restore your gum and teeth health.
Approach a periodontist who can guide you well.

mean time maintain good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwashes for oral rinsing.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
It seems that you are suffering from periodontitis that lead to tooth mobility.
start brushing twice daily with mild brush in a circular manner.
use warm saline rinses (half cup Luke warm water + half tbs table salt). rinse with it every day twice after brushing.
some time bleeding is due to vit. C Deficiency, increace intake of citrus fruits and salads .
or take vit c supplements.
splinting is the line of treatment
bleeding can also b there due to hormonal changes.
visit a dentist for TEETH cleaning
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history given it suggests you are suffering from periodontitis which has lead to mobility of the teeth due to bone loss .
Factors responsible for this condition is deposition of calculus and plaque leading to infection in the supporting bone and gum .
I would advise you to see your dentist first and get the teeth examined clinically to rule out the amount of bone loss and infection in the gum and the grade of mobility present in the teeth . It can be saved by splinting if .
Hope this information helps you.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend
thanx for sharing your concern.

i can understand how it feels when you have a very mobile teeth in your mouth.i would suggest you try not to disturb it because it might bleed profusely on plucking,also there could be associated pain too which can give you sleepless try and avoid.

you can seek your dentist help in this regard.

you have localised periodontitis.the features of periodontitis are mobility of teeth,deep pockets,surrounding bone loss etc.

you need to visit your dentist.Get an OPG radiograph done.this will show you, the condition of your teeth,underlying bone support,bone loss,and also presence of infection.

after judging the above symptoms,and its severity, your dentist can decide whether you require periodontal flap surgery,currettage,and bone graft etc.
this will surely help and improve your gum prblems.till that time maintain good oral hygine.
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
as you said your tooth is falling out is because of bone loss.your bone sourrounding the teeth is resorbed so your tooth is mobile without sopport.and one of your tooth is chipped off becaue your tooth is brittle.your tooth can be mobile becaue of periapical you visit your dentist and made proper diagnosis.may be you require scaling,root planing,currettage for rest of your teeth to made them healthy. your affected tooth may require extraction or splinting of tooth.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor