• question-icon

Have vertebral fracture. Done MRI. Have pain in back. Help

I am 60 YO and have a T12 stable vertebral fracture. Have never had back problems in my life but do lift patients and grandchildren. Have not had an MRI but this begun in APril after pulling someone up in bed who did not assist. The ortho suspects due to bone density. I still have pain especially in the afternoon and have read about the kyphoplasty and that it can help stabilize the spine and is good if the fracture is recent. Am going to ask MD for MRI but don't know the best MD in Mobile, AL to do it. Please advise
Thu, 11 Jul 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
The word "Stable" byitself signifies that it will not lead to any further deterioration in the symptoms.

Generally at your age, there will be senile osteoporosis which leads to wedge compression fractures of the vertebral bodies even with simple bending strain.

Kyphoplasty is a good procedure with promising results but is expensive. Instead you can use a dorso lumbar back support which helps in maintaining the alignment of the vertebral column.

Momentarily, use analgesics /muscle relaxant gels and also calcium supplementations.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Hello.
The pain after an injury to the vertebra can be associated with nerve compression symptoms. This can be properly diagnosed only after an MRI scan. The treatment depends on the extent of injury.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal
drtayal72@gmail.com
Hello.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
drtayal72@gmail.com