Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have tender and swollen knee. Had fell. What should I do?

I fell and I think somehow hurt my knee , not sure how. A tiny area on the outside of my kneecap is very tender and I have a swollen knee now a week later. The swelling and bruising is also in my calf and ankle. Is this normal? Will it get better? I ve been resting it and icing it. I am also 38 weeks pregnant so I think that s making the swelling worse too. I can walk and extend my knee ok, just can t kneel.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic

The fact that you can walk and extend the knee is a good sign and

shows that the injury was likely just a contusion of soft tissue without major

effect on the underlying bone.

Its just a matter of time and resting the knee and all will be ok within a couple

of days or few weeks. True, the additional weight from the pregnancy also

aggravates the pain.

Pain killers will help but then only paracetamol is accepted.

Best regards
Dr Achuo
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

From the description, I feel that you could have sustained a soft tissue hematoma.

The dependent oedema of pregnancy might have added to the inflammatory swelling of the calf and ankle.

The following measures may provide some relief

* Rest to the injured part
* Ice packing to alleviate the pain
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb to resolve the swelling
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor