Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Have symptoms of Hypothyroidism. Did test 9 year back and was negative. Advice?

I have a question about Hypothyroidism.
Believe that I may have it as I have nearly all of the symptoms on any given list I have found, (Thinning hair, feeling cold, low energy/fatigue, etc.) I am a 37 year old female who has had two children and have been having many of these symptoms for many years. I have did have a test done about nine years ago and it came out negative. However, I believe that they only did one test and I have heard that you should do both the T3 and T4 as one can be a false negative. Please advise. Thank you,
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

Well the symptoms that you have mentioned could be attributed to an underlying thyroid dysfunction such as hypothyroidism but this needs to be confirmed by getting Thyroid Function Test ( TFT) which includes free T4 and free T3 and TSH. This will give us a more clear picture about your thyroid status. I may add that a normal test years ago does not rule out the possibility of a thyroid dysfunction at present , so you shall go ahead with the test.

I hope this helps.

Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Anesthesiologist Dr. Ashutosh Agrawal's  Response
Hi Mr. Amber,
As you are having many symptoms of Hypothyroidism and you got the tests done nine years back, so it is better to get the tests get repeated fresh. You should get with freeT3, T4 and TSH done. It will give clear picture of current thyroid status.Accordingly medication can be started if required.

Hope it will be helpful.
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor