Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have swollen sweat gland near groin. It itches. Advice?

I m a 27 year old female, who is generally pretty healthy, however, I ve had a swollen sweat gland in my groin area for months, it will not go away. I ve been checked if it could be treated with antibiotics but it is not caused by bacteria treatable by antibiotics. It itches, its huge, and very uncomfortable. What can I do to get rid of it?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  131
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Hello and welcome to health care magic. Thanks for your query

As per as your description it seems like you are having infection of your sweat gland. (Hidradenitis Suppurativa)

Usually the sweat glands gets blocked with the keratin and gets secondary infection with the bacterial.

In mild cases antibiotics alone will be sufficient.

In moderate to severe form steroids injection at the site of inflammation and even some times surgical excision helps.

By taking antibiotics it will just reduce the inflammation around the gland, but does not help in removing the block, so I would suggest you to consult a doctor to access the extent and grade of inflammation and to choose the appropriate treatment option.

Wish you all the best
( Emergency consultant)
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor