Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have stone in kidney. On antibiotics. All tests done. Have diverticulties, back pain. What to do?

My dad was diagnosed with diverticulitis last Tuesday morning due to severe pain in the lower left side of his back and stomach cramps. He had a ct scan and they also noticed a kidney stone that's 6mm in size still in his kidney. They admitted him overnight and released him the next morning (Wednesday). He was prescribed antibiotics to cure the infection of diverticulitis. He felt fine all day Wednesday and Thursday and the pain came back on Friday morning. He went to the ER and they gave him a med injection (can't remember name) and did another ct scan which came back with the diverticulitis fine and stone still in kidney and prescribed him vicodin and a muscle relaxer and sent him home. He felt good enough to go to work Friday and Saturday and then Sunday morning the pain came back. He was admitted Sunday and stayed Sunday and Monday night without much answers. They then did a MRI and say that his L5 disk in his back erupted. Can that be caused by the diverticulitis? He has never had back issues before. Is it anyway possible that the stone is causing pain also even though it is in the kidney?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
hello there and thanks for using this forum to pose your worry
the presence of stones in the kidney can cause reccurence of his pain as the stones move down the urinary tract.
however, neither the kidney stones, nor the diverticulitis is the cause of the back problem. rather, this is what we called a slipped disc or discal hernia.
he might require good analgesia and stabilisation of his spine. surgery is also an option.
for sure, he is already treated from his diverticulitis and should now see a urologist for the definitive management of the kidney stone, then a neurosurgeon/rheumatologist for the back problem.
i wish him a very speady recovery. thanks
Answered: Fri, 5 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor