Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have snoring problem. Susceptible to tonsilitis and sinus infections. What can be done?

Hello! I am a 63 year old female, my problem is: I have a snoring problem, I have suffered teasing and ridicule all my life because of this. My parents took me to our family physician when I was probably 13 or 14 years old, he advised that I needed my tonsils and adnoids removed, they were enlarged. I have always had many bouts of tonsilitis and sinus infections etc. Needless to say my parents elected not to have the surgery done. I m at witts end with the abuse I have to deal with because I snore......What can be done so that I can live the rest of my life in peace?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us about your snoring problem.
First of all I would like to tell you that snoring occurs whenever there is obstruction to air way in sleeping hours when your body muscles are quite relax. This obstruction may be because of -
(1) Deviated nasal septum in nose.
(2) Nasal polyp.
(3) Choanal stenosis of posterior choana of nose.
(4) Nasopharyngeal lump may be adenoids , tumors or nasopharyngeal fibroma.
(5) Loose or slaked soft palate and elongated uvula.
(6) enlarge lymphoids of base of tongue.
(7) Enlarged tonsils.
(8) Loose and flabby pharyngeal soft tissue.
(9) Much submandibular fat giving rise to double chin.
(10) Some systemic diseases like - Hypothyroidism and obesity.
It is possible that any individual may have more than one factor for snoring problem, therefore Through examination by an ENT doctor is necessary to find out the real pathology which may be accordingly plan for treatment.

With Regards.
Answered: Sun, 3 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor