Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have sinus infection, lump above collarbone, nodules on thyroid. Why enlarged lymph nodes?

I am a 42 year old mother of 2. I noticed a lump above my left collarbone back in August. Went to GP and she said that she wasn t concerned about it and I should go back and see her if it became the size of a golfball. It was about the size of a peanut. A couple weeks later went to Urgent care and was tested for Strep throat(negative) because my throat and neck hurt. Was given antibiotics for sinus infection . I was later referred to ENT by the GP for a CT scan of sinus. This only showed a small polyp in left maxifacial which ENT said was not causing blockage but I did have swelling in my nose and was given another round of antibiotics. A few weeks later I felt like something was pushing against my neck and was constantly pulling at my shirts because it felt like they were on my neck. Went back to GP and she sent me for ultrasound of Thyroid. This showed 2 nodules on my right thyroid 9mm and 1cm. the 1cm looks to be cystic. GP also ran TSH and T4 and antibodies test which all came back normal, but thyroid was enlarged. I asked for a CBC and found out my WBC was 15.5. GP gave broad spectrem antibiotic for 2 weeks. Retested a moth later and WBC is now 11 which is still a little high. Saw ENT on Monday he saw no need for fine needle biopsy because the largest nodule is cystic. Ordered a soft tissue CT for enlarged lymph nodes which showed that I have several borderline nodes with the largest being on the right side but none were reactive to the dye. I didn t even know I had a enlarged node on the right side as I can t feel it. I was given the option to moniter them? Or have a biopsy of one of them. I am at a loss as to what to do or where to turn. It seems that every fall I feel sick and have a elevated WBC, but they never know why. In 2010 WBC was 13, 2011 it was 12.2 and this year 15.5. Should I be concerned about cancer, Hashimotos or where to turn for infection? What kind of doctor or specialist should I see? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Asked On : Mon, 17 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  203
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Oncologist, Radiation 's  Response
Hi there, I understand your doctors have found out some small lymph nodes and either they can be monitored or can be biopsied. Both the options are reasonable and it depends on how anxious you are really. Just tell the doctor to recommend you the better option of the both (I think monitoring would be fine if the lymph nodes are too small to feel) All your blood tests are fine and these tests fluctuate always and is a normal thing. I'm sure your ENT doctor is doing a fine job and be guided by him. Regards
Answered: Tue, 25 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor