Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Have sharp nerve like pain in outer calf , took acupuncture by physic, no relief. What can be done?

I have a sharp nerve like pain in my outer calf - it s so sharp if I apply pressure or locate it that it makes me flinch. I have had it for a few years and its not getting any better. Have sought help from doctor and got referred to the nhs physio who didn t really seem to give any answers other than it could be compartmental syndrome . I was given som acupuncture by this physio who said they were accessing the trigger points. This was exscruitiating! And didn t produce any results. I would like to get the right diagnosis. I did have a scan which at first the person doing the scan thought they could see some fluid but were not sure so it came back inconclusive. I am active and fit for my age 51 and feel there must be an answer or solution - I just need to find someone who knows what it is!
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome at HCM.

I have read complete details of your question.

It looks from your details that you are having pain at your outer aspect of leg.This pain looks to be pricking or pinching in nature.This type of pain is generally due to abnormality of nerves.There are some reasons for this ,which are following-

-Deficiency of vitamin B1,2,12,6.

-Endocrine disorders like thyroid problem & others.

-Compression of nerves in your back or in course of nerve.

-Disc problem in back .

If you are also suffering from back pain then most probable reason looking at your age can be lumber spondylosis or compression by disc.In that case you should avoid lifting heavy weight & abnormal position at your back.

You should also start some exercises which are mentioned in following link-

At present from relief from pain you may take a good nerve analgesic on prescription from your doctor.
Nerve analgesic include tramadol,pregabalin or gabapentin(This is for your information only).

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor