Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have severe abdominal cramping in abdomen. Why?

I have severe abdominal cramping on the lower left side of my abdomen . I am also drenched in a cold sweat, shaky, naseous and irritable because of the pain. I have had my gall bladder removed. I have lost 18 pounds in 30 days with out trying. I have an appetite and eat. About 1 1/2 hours later I get sick like this. My doctor does not know either.What can I do? I am a 49 year old female and am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 215 lbs. Thank you for any advice or help.
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  125
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Lower left side abdominal pain may be caused by diverticulitis, left urinary tract infection, left ovarian inflammation and large intestine tumors as well. According to your symptoms, you should have abdominal ultrasound and foll blood work with liver enzymes and pancreas enzymes, urine test. If an ultrasound will find diverticles and WBC with CRP will be elevated, you should have antibiotics therapy and colonoscopy after about a month (not earlier, as colonoscopy when inflamed diverticles may result with large intestine perforation). If your inflammation markers will be fine, you should have colonoscopy right away to rule colon cancer out.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Thu, 20 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Gastroenterologist Dr. Charles S Narasi's  Response
Hello, psfcakelady,
Severe left sided lower abdominal pain associated with nausea, chills
suggests that you might be experiencing an attack of Diverticulitis.
These are small pouches or pockets from the wall of the lining of your
colon or the large bowel. You are at the age that we see this more commonly.
Since you mentioned that you had gallbladder surgery before, I can be very
certain, if you have a CT-scan of your abdomen, they will find diverticulitis.
There are different levels or grades of this condition, any where from mild
to severe with complications such as abscess, bleeding or even rupture.
I also don't like the fact that you have lost weight without trying.
I suggest that you see your doctor as soon as possible to have blood tests
and the scan done. Only after that you can get the appropriate treatment.
Wish you well.
Answered: Thu, 20 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor