Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have sensitive skin, develop scars scratching mosquito bite, tried various treatments not worked

I'm from Malaysia. I'm 27 years old, 5 feet 1 inch tall and 45 kg in weight. I've been having a skin problem since, I would say, my whole life. I have sensitive skin and whenever my skin itches from mostly mosquito bites, I will scratch until they leave marks all over my body. Right now, my legs have the most scars, my arms not as much but nevertheless quite a lot there. When I was little, my mum has brought me to a number of skin specialists but nothing really worked. Tried a few creams/treatments/serums but they didn't work too. I've come to a point where I've almost given up on this. Please help. Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dec 2013

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.

After reading your query it appears the possibility of "insect bite hypersensitivity".
It is a common problem which generally occurs in childhood and then subsides by its own in adult life. In some persons it may be continued till adult life also. This occurs because of oversensitivity of the person towards any type of insect bite and especially to mosquito bite.

The best advice to give you in your kind of case is to protect your skin from mosquito bite. This is the best preventive and curative measure to get rid of this problem. It can only be done by wearing complete clothes covering the legs completely.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below:
-Apply over the counter calamine lotion 3-4 times a day.
-You can do cold water compresses to reduce the intensity of itching.
-Do not scratch or rub the skin as it can lead to further aggravation.
- You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine under medial advise.

Despite above measures if the problem is not getting better then it is better to consult a dermatologist for best guidance.

Hope these informations will help.

"With good health wishes"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & STDs)
Answered: Sat, 22 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor