Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have scoliosis. Have to undergo surgery. What could be after effect of surgery

I live in Buffalo, NY. My 18-year old daughter, who plays very competetive soccer, has scoliosis that has
progesses to 56 degrees. We have been told she needs surgery. Is there any way to look up credientials and results of surgeries performed by a specific doctor in our area. The doctor that we have been dealing with is Dr. Robert D. Galpin of
University Orthopedics who supposedly specializes in pediatric scoliosis but we can't find any information on him besides from the University Orthopedic website.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Early or mild symptoms of adult degenerative scoliosis may respond well to non-surgical treatments. Physical therapy can improve strength and flexibility in the trunk and legs, while nutritional changes and aerobic exercise can help patients lose weight, thereby decreasing the stress on the lumbar spine. Injections into the epidural space or into the spinal joints may help decrease inflammation and reduce back or leg pain, and alternative treatments such as acupuncture may also give relief. Bracing does not usually provide satisfactory relief.

In some patients, symptoms may progress in spite of non-surgical care. This is often the case when a nerve root is chronically compressed. Surgery may then be appropriate. Surgical intervention can be broadly categorized into three groups:
Simple decompression,Decompression with short fusion and Decompression and scoliosis correction surgery.The link below will help you to find neurosurgeon at NY,their qualification surgery done and appointment details

Dr sandhya Manorenj
Answered: Sun, 12 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor