Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have pain from pelvic to legs and back ache. Have ovarian cyst. Suggestions?

I have a ovarian cyst that just started causing me problems again about a month ago. Pain is Right sided pelvic pain down into my legs? Back ache and burning on right pelvic area. I have no gallbladder or appendix as they were removed thinking it was causing my pain then. Come to find out its the cysts .... How wikk a dr blog about treating this, I m very anti birth control pill options.... So, pain meds, surgery, hysterectomy?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Welcome to HCM.Thanks for the query.
Ovarian cysts pain may be treated with:

Pain relievers, including acetaminophen/paracetamol , nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), or narcotic pain medicine (by prescription) may help reduce pelvic pain.
NSAIDs usually work best when taken at the first signs of the pain.

A warm bath, or heating pad, or hot water bottle applied to the lower abdomen near the ovaries can relax tense muscles and relieve cramping, lessen discomfort, and stimulate circulation and healing in the ovaries.Bags of ice covered with towels can be used alternately as cold treatments to increase local circulation.

Combined methods of hormonal contraception such as the combined oral contraceptive pill – the hormones in the pills may regulate the menstrual cycle, prevent the formation of follicles that can turn into cysts, and possibly shrink an existing cyst.

There are two main types of ovarian cyst operation – open cystectomy and laparoscopic cystectomy.
In open cystectomy, an incision is is made either horizontally just above the pubic bone .
The ovary is opened and the cyst is lifted out.
In laparoscopic cystectomy, smaller incisions are made and the cysts are removed using specially designed surgical instruments .And these two surgeries depend on the severity of the case.Consult your physician for this.
Feel free to ask for further guidance.

Hoping good health for you.
Many Thanks,
Dr Shilpi Gupta
Answered: Fri, 15 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor