Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have pacemaker due to arrythmia. Pain in buttocks, walking with a stick. What could be wrong?

s now but it has now spread and also his buttocks . He has become like an old man overnight and has to walk with a stick. He is on strong pain relief, Morphine sulphate, but it is not touching the pain at all. The doctor is referring him to a rheumatologist urgently. Have you any idea what could be wrong with him? He is 64 yrs old and also has a pace-maker due to arrythmia .
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Cardiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in. I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence. By, pacemaker for arrhythmia, I am assuming you mean Automatic Intra Cardiac Defibrillator (AICD) device.
Your doctor is absolutely right when he says that the problem is not in any way related to this pacemaker. It would be, that he has developed natural degeneration of joints of lower back region, a condition called osteoarthritis (OA Spine) which can cause compression of sensory nerve bringing sensations from buttock area. This can lead to pain. Rheumatologist is joint specialist. After examination he may recommend x ray or CT scan of spine. One point here is MRI scan is not advisable with these kind of pacemakers and it will be avoided. Treatment will be started after establishing the diagnosis. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover
Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor