Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Have normal pressure hydrocephalus, enlarged prostate. Any treatment without using CSF drain?

Hi Hi My father is suffering from NPH- Normal Pressure hydrocephalus . His actions and responses have become very slow since last 2.5 years doctors have diagnosed NPH. He is unable to hold urine. He has tendency to fall forward, getting up form bed is very difficult for him. He suffers from Diabetese since 1983(~ 29 years). He is advised to take GlicidM tablets twice a day for the same. He is also having enlarged Prostate . He feels constipated most of the times also his urine smells very bad. Please let me know if any medical reports of his are required. I have his MRI, ultrasound and other clinical reports. Please let me know if I should scan and send them to you. He feels slightly better after taking Vitamin b12 injection. Regards, Abhinav YYYY@YYYY If you can tell us any treatment without using shunt of CSF drain analysis please let me know. I think I have checked with lot many Allopathy doctors and their suggestion is to go for shunting. specifically if you can help me with alternate therapy I will be greatfull. Other Information: Person s Gender: Male Person s Age: 71 Already Tried: 1).CSF drain through lumbar puncher-year 2010- helped him feel better for a month 2).Lechesis1M one dose followed by Avina sativaQ for a month or so - gave positive result for short duration 3).Some homeopathic doctors gave him medicines which made his condition worse 4).Sabal Serulata for prostate enlargement 5). Acetazolamide medicine for few months- not much difference 6) He is not interested in going for a shunt in the Brain
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  148
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Neurologist, Surgical 's  Response

Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus is one of the few treatable causes of Dementia and will respons well to CSF diversion. If the diagnosis of NPH is confirmed, then CSF diversion using either a VP shunt (tube from the brain fluid to the abdomen) or TP shunt (from the spinal fluid to the abdomen) will be the choice. I would encourage you to consider the surgical option since it can produce good results in patient's with NPH. Age of 71, well controlled diabetes is not a contraindication for the operation. If not operated, the dementia is likely to progressively get worse. A lumbar puncture and draining out fluid will help to predict the response of an operation. Maybe you can consider this before deciding one way or another because it can help you and your father get an idea what the improvement after shunting is likely to be.
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor