Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Have neck pain. Is it Cervical Spondlytis? Which specialist should I visit?

hi doctor, i am suffering from severe back neck pain . sometimes the pain spreads to shoulders also. but back neck pain is continuing for all the time. and also i have some pain and heaviness above the neck ,that i mean through head also. I can t even my head to left, right and downward direction. I am not at all able to lay in bed because of this severe pain. Is it cervical spondlytis? or is it any other symptoms. I took a cervical spine x-ray . One ayurveda doctor told me that there is nerve compression. Whom to be I consult in allopathy- an orthologist or neurologist
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Thanks for your query,
The common cause of neck and back pain are poor posture, back sprain/injury, unaccustomed work/exercise, cervical and lumbar spondylosis and so on.

The symptoms that yoiu have described could be due to cervical spondylosis. Other causes also should be kept in mind as i have noted above.

I beg to say that xay will not help much to determine the degree of nerve comprehension in patients with spondylosis. MRI scan will be a better choice.

How ever, you need not worry at all as you don't have clinical signs/symptoms suggestive of nerve compression. Usually when ever there is a compression of nerve root, the patient will have pain that radiates down the arm./hand along with parasthesia.

I request you to consult a neurologist to resolve this issue

Hope this clarifies your query

Dr Gopal K Dash
Consultant Neurologist
Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore, India
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor